Friday, April 20, 2012

Hello Again!


October to April has been a time of intensity and change, resulting in a scarcity of Laurie's World posts. Life has been busy but artful, and it is time to catch up on recent events. After the Female Form show at the Workhouse last February, preparation began on my first solo show, “Song Cycle” which hung at the Gallery at Convergence in Alexandria, Virginia through October and November, 2011. Song Cycle explored the notion that sound informs our visual experience and influences our creativity. This idea was presented within the rhythm of our life cycle.


Curated by my husband, Brad Davis, the show was a resounding success, and our guests embraced the spirit of our “festively glamorous” artist reception, turning out in elegant dress for the occasion. It was an evening of good food, friends, music, and of course, artwork. A film of the artist’s reception can be found at www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_p27jZuYdg


To represent death and rebirth, I created a piece called "Chant." The making of Chant was recorded as a timelapse film and set to the music of a song I had written years before. The film can be found at www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUNXq26Cg-Q" .


The execution of this and other works was made especially poignant for my family when my Mother passed away on October 30, as the show was running. My Mother was too ill to attend this show, but she encouraged many of her friends to come to the reception. It was a delight to meet people who knew my Mom in ways that I did not, and it added immeasurably to the evening for me.


Please enjoy a few pics from the Song Cycle Artist Reception:











No comments:

Post a Comment